Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Project Green

Project Green
Is it possible to build a green home for under $200,000? Let me start by saying I have no experience building anything. All I have is a limited budget and the drive to live green. I will be blogging every step from applying for Eco grants to zoning hearings to site construction.
This blog is meant to serve as how to guide. As I am a first time builder, the guide will likely be heavy into what not to do when building green. That is okay. I don’t really have any idea what I am getting myself into with this project. What I do know is that I have a great desire to better myself and the world I live in.

The concept is to create a community space in urban Nashville of 6-8 single family green homes. I would like to be able to offer the houses for under $200K. I don’t think there is anything other than condos claiming to be green in this price range. The ideal end result will be to have the houses operating off the grid.

I have several reasons for taking on this project. First, my husband and I are on an extremely limited budget. We do our part to help the planet (i.e. recycle, fluorescent bulbs). But we want to do more. We want to make more of an impact. However, the currently available options for buying a green home are limited by our budget. Second, I want to prove that anyone can go fully green whatever their budget.

I am currently, as I have no home designing experience other than The Sims, searching for an easy to use architectural software. I need something that is user friendly and allows me to create from the foundation up. I am going to try Home Designer 6.0. My plan is to create 6-8 concrete homes located on .75-1 acre of land. The homes will be between 900-1200 square feet. Each unit will have its own "backyard" green space. Plus every unit will share a community green space.

Does this sound ambitious or what? I don't care. I spent the better part of my life lost. I wasted so many precious educational opportunities. That being said there is a valid reason these opportunities were wasted. See I have been asleep for 29 years and 129 days.

The next step will be attempting to navigate my design software. I will also work on finding and pricing local green building materials. It will be important to create a rough pricing outline for this project. In the mean time I will be playing with the design and layout of the houses. Stay tuned...

Blog Ammendment 04/03/09-What was I thinking?? This blog is the truest example of Jane-The Dreamer! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment