Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How old is too old to go back to school? And will they refer to me as the old lady in their study group?


I am weird, are you? There was a very distinct period in my mid 20's when I realized knowing this about myself gave me an incredible amount of self confidence. I decided instead of trying to change myself I was going to like the complex, sensitive, character voice for every occasion, wannabe gangster girl inside me. I realized all of my weird idiosyncrasies not only made me unique but also made me extremely valid. By owning this I came into my own.

I have been reflecting a lot this week as I am preparing to return to school. It takes a fair amount of self reflection to become the old lady at college. But starting June 1st that will be me!! Wish me luck I know I will need it. Secretly though, I cannot wait to go school supply shopping!!

6 comments:

  1. I like this! I went back to school when I was in my 40's. No one ever said a word, but then I wasn't the oldest in the group! Have courage and lap it up! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not be an "old lady" compared to other students. Lots of nontraditional students these days. And yes, I am weird too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane! Yes, I am weird too! We are all unique, one-of-a-kind, created by God and let me tell you a bit about being the "old lady" in class. I was 37 when I returned to college and scared to death thinking I would not be able to keep up or I would stick out like a sore thumb! What I discovered was that my life experiences had taught me much more than I had realized. I aced through most of undergrad and grad school. And those fresh-out-of-high-school students loved having me in their study groups, so don't be anxious about it, you are going to shine like the stars! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got my second degree...i was definitely older than the rest. But I breezed through quickly and easily! Good Luck! Where are you going to go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so glad to hear that you're making this empowering choice! It's people like you who go back that encourage everyone else who wish they could, but are afraid they can't. More power to you, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thanks for all the encouraging words. I am headed back to Nashville State Community College to get a certificate in CAD (computer aided design). It is my hope then to begin studying Interior Design. I am so very excited to be moving forward in this goal for myself. My first go around at college life (because of my narcolepsy) I never felt I could give it my best. So here is to having a reason to buy school supplies ;)!!!!

    ReplyDelete